The first week of February is Burn Awareness Week, but it’s something we should keep in mind every day!
Did you know:
- Each year, 1,100 children die from fire and burn injuries.
- Among children under five years of age, scalds or contact burns are responsible for 90 percent of burn injuries.
- The most common places children experience scalds are in the kitchen, dining rooms and bathrooms.
- Gas Fireplaces can also cause server burn damage, and serious burn injuries from the glass of a gas fireplace can happen in less than a second.
- The glass on a gas fireplace can reach up to 1300 degrees, and the doors remain hot for an hour or more after use.
- Fire pits retain heat up to 12 hours after being extinguished – hot enough to cause a severe burn.
Here are some safety tips to keep you and your family safe from burns all year long.
In the Kitchen:
- Cook on back burners when young children are present, and keep all pot handles turned back, away from the stove edge.
- During mealtime, place hot items in the center of the table, at least 10 inches from the table edge. Use non-slip placemats instead of tablecloths if toddlers are present.
- Never drink or carry hot liquids while carrying or holding a child.
- Keep fire extinguishers close at hand, and within easy reach of the cooking area. If you aren’t confident using conventional home fire extinguishers, consider a point-and-spray like First Alert’s Tundra Fire Extinguishing Spray, which offers an easy-to-use and easy-to-store alternative.
- Check smoke detectors regularly, and replace the batteries every six months. If you can’t remember the last time you replaced an alarm, change it. Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years.
- Consider switching to voice alarms, such as the First Alert Child Awakening Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Alarms, which use a loud, pre-recorded and tamper-proof human voice to alert residents in the case of smoke and also to the specific location of the hazard within the home. Studies show that children age six to 10 are awakened more readily by voice.
- Keep all appliance cords – especially for items such as irons – coiled and away from counter edges.
- Establish a “kid zone” away from the high traffic areas near the stove, cords, and appliances.
A final piece of advice:
If you do get burned, treat the burned area with cool running water for several minutes. Do not use ice to cool a burn, as it can cause frostbite very quickly because the skin is already damaged.